Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Creativity's Ever-Increasing Power

CC: Flickr User Whiskeygonebad; Anthony Catalano

Larry Lessig's TED Talk about creativity was one of the most interesting TED Talks I have seen to date. His subject is one that comes up a lot in my mind, especially being part of the generation he so well describes as "living against the law"...but don't call the police just yet.
Lessig goes into an amazing analysis of the creativity that the internet has brought us today, bringing in examples form the past that help exemplify his ideas. Lessing's main idea is that in this age where we have so many available technologies, in which we are creating every single day, it is impossible to say that the "Read Write" culture that seemed to be so prevalent in the past, is disappearing. When there are so many new resources being open to the world via the internet every day, it is completely unjust to identify our new forms of creativity as, well, un-creative.
Sure, adults may not be as accustomed to this new culture as we are, but that's only because their version of Read Write Culture is so physical - they need physical copies to legitimize that something is being created and that work is being done - because that's what they've been taught all their lives. In an age where the world has expanded to such a great extent through the digital world, the things we may view as the "write" part of Read and Write culture are not the same as things older generations would consider - we make art online through picture-taking and animation, we make videos from old movies and current songs, and we write on a keyboard (like I am doing right now) onto a "page"; there are no physical copies to represent what we have just created. This lack of physical proof is the difference between our mindset today, and the mindset that our parents grew up with, forcing them to believe that our work is not justifiable. Now, I'm not trying to call out older generations - I still do respect their thoughts on the topic. The only problem is that we've been taught such different things growing up; we can't help the way our minds have shaped our views of creativity.
I feel I could write about this for hours. One of the best TED Talks I have seen, especially about technology. I would strongly recommend watching it - let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment