I mostly just loved the topic of this essay, which is very well portrayed in the first lines: "The world exists. Why recreate it?" The author does a great job of explaining his views "against" fiction writing - why should we have to make up completely new worlds, stories, and ideas if there's already so much in the world that we already have, and that we haven't discovered yet? While this is a rather limiting thought that I'm not sure I believe in, I think it's a very noble idea to promote and pursue. Sure, there's a lot to be created from what you already have, which is done on a daily basis all around the world. But where's the appeal? Why should we limit ourselves to the things that are inside our realm? Why not go out and invent something completely new from scratch as an escape from the real world?
This is where I disagree with the writer. Sure, it's fine to make beauty, art, and express yourself from the things you already have, but what about expressing those things through something you don't have, and finding a way to manifest your thoughts and send a message through something you invented? In my opinion, that is one major component of creativity - inventing something that no one else has thought of. Of course, this can be done with the same materials as everyone else, but what about making something different with the same things as everyone else makes it so...well, different? I hope you can follow my train of thought. It's not always easy to, and it's especially hard in writing.
Something else I noticed in the essay was a sort of stylistic device the author uses to prove his point, and I hope I'm not the only one that picked up on this: in constantly citing things form other authors, the writer uses this essay as a prime example that something completely new can be made out of things that already have been made. Creativity comes from already-established entities that can be recycled into something completely new. When I realized this about the essay, I got pretty excited. Maybe I'm way off, but I'm still proud of my findings. Good move, David Shields.
Very well observed, Theo. That's a great point (also similar in spirit to "Everything is a Remix" and "RIP!"). The content matches the message; the stylistic trope that you're discussing is an old one (Sontag uses the same kind of allusion collage in "Notes on Camp") but there is a much stronger link here between the trope and the message. Well seen.
ReplyDelete