Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013 - Response

Flickr User Neil Crosby

First of all, let me start off by saying that this radio episode was a little too long for me.

As discussed in class, I think it's hard to listen to a radio episode, especially since (for me, at least) I couldn't do anything else while listening. If I did, I would get off track and then be lost in the whole story - writing about the episode even was hard! So in all, I don't think listening to radio episodes is for me.

However, since this was an assignment, I sat down and listened and had a few reflections on the episode. First of all, if you're thinking of having to see other people, that probably isn't a good sign for your relationship. Don't get me wrong, I understand "taking a break" or even polyamorous relationships, but if you "want more time" at the end of your break period for a relationship you've been in since you were 17, that most likely is an indicator that something isn't going right in your relationship. However, that's just my opinion, and while I don't think it needs to be so black and white, I think that it was a little stupid of these two individuals to take this super serious break...just realize you want to see other people or have multiple partners or break up! It just annoyed me a bit, and maybe I'm being to cynical, but either way I just can't help but feel that these characters needed to figure some stuff out before becoming the messes that they became.

This being said, I don't think I've been this worked up over a form of media in a while. Sure, film and video have a way of working themselves under my skin as well, but I also think this came with the fact that a radio episode really annoyed me. I think that from this experience I learned that I don't like to listen to the radio unless I'm just not really doing anything, which is not often. I would love to listen on a long drive in the car, but not just sitting in my house when I could be doing homework or watching a movie or something. I guess this comes out of my inability to multi task - one of my faults I suppose.

Although I couldn't enjoy this episode as much as other things, I still do think it was interesting, and made me think a lot about radio today and why it just doesn't work for some people - we've become too stupid! That's my conclusion. Good night and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment