flickr user riekhavoc
So this story was pretty interesting to read. Interesting meaning...I didn't really know what was going on, but I'll give you my take on the story:
So there's all these kids/young adults (the age was never really specified) in this sort of camp where they are told to masturbate, test products, and fill out assessments for them – the products, not the masturbation. Apparently they test a whole range of products from medicine (Aurabon?) to children's toys when they were younger – it seems like they have been here their whole lives. So anyways they go through all these trials like having kids and getting married other shenanigans, and once a day they need to be "plugged in". Into what, we don't really know. In the end the main character eventually makes it out of the camp (I think) and faxes his "wife", who I believe is still in the camp, and they talk about their future lives together, and then it's over.
What struck me about this story wasn't necessarily the plot line, but more so the writing style. While it was a little confusing at times, I thought it had a strong voice and was full of character. I hesitated when discussing the age of the characters because the way the story was written, one would think (or at least I did) that the voice was from a younger person, probably a child. The simple, plain speech with inconsistencies in verb tense and confusing descriptions made me think of a toddler trying to tell a story. Since the characters were probably older than a toddler (they were having kids), this maybe means that they were all suffering some sort of mental disorder? I couldn't really tell. Either way, this story was pretty unusual and interesting, however hard to keep up with and fully understand.

No comments:
Post a Comment