This was an absolutely amazing documentary. I really loved Diane's pictures and, even more so, her motives (or lack thereof) behind them. I fell in love with her way of seeing the world; her photographs weren't claiming to be anything specific, just a bit of time captured at the right place at the right moment.
John Szarkowski, the man at the end of the documentary, explains Diane's work perfectly: she knew she was an artist, but trying to defy that was her work. This is basically what I got from his description, and I think it's completely accurate. Even just in hearing what she has to say about her pictures, we can tell that she isn't trying so hard. She isn't trying to be this amazing artist who captures all these unconventional photos - she just takes them, and she loves them, and that's that.
One of my favorite parts of the documentary was when she was talking about her relationship with cameras. She described them as being "recalcitrant", which I loved. She talks about how, as a photographer, you have an image in your mind when you're placed behind a camera. You have an image, and the camera also has an image, but a different one. You may be determined to do one thing, and the camera is determined to so you have to "fuse what you want and what the camera wants". I really loved that she said this because it couldn't be closer from the truth. Even in our day and age when we have the most advanced cameras, a photographer will never be able to truly get what he/she sees exactly as he/she sees it, through a camera lens. Which is both tragic and amazing.
Here's my favorite shot from the documentary:
Check out that woman's hairstyle! And the baby and crazy little boy and their studly dad. It's a great portrait.

No comments:
Post a Comment